Страницы

четверг, 11 июля 2013 г.

So it goes

How do you recommend Catch-22? You do not. It fares well without any recommendations. 
How do you describe it besides being brilliant? Why, like a nonlinear anti-war absurdist fiction.
There is nothing wrong with absurdist fiction from my point of view so I was surprised to meet immediate rejection at that point. I thought I might be using the term wrong but no, it's quite right. Stoppard, Vonnegut, Beckett wrote in this genre, just as I thought. But then again I label Catch-22 as absurdist fiction and fail to find the exact reason why do I call it so.

According to Wikipedia (ah, amateurs' delight!..) Absurdist fiction is a genre of literature that focuses on the experiences of characters in a situation where they cannot find any inherent purpose in life, most often represented by ultimately meaningless actions and events. 

You know what does it remind me? Well, reality, our one and only so called real life. And what does it mean if best description of reality is sometimes given by absurdist fiction? If literary realism deftly describes a reality I cannot relate to? Life doesn't have any purpose (no offence, maybe yours makes perfect sense, let me know if it does, all right?). Fiction that describes the state of things as they actually exist is realistic fiction. Yet if a character cannot find a purpose in his/her life it becomes absurdist. What? Oh, why don’t we stop discriminating books by genres and just enjoy reading? And living too.

Lots of love,


Gulshat

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий